Monday, November 15, 2010

I'm Running Late: The Importance of Punctuality at Work



Ministry@Work Monday
Every Monday I know I have to attend an Orientation/New Clinicians Group at the agency where I work. Almost every Monday I race out the house at about 8:30ish. I expect to travel via the Lake Shore Drive and I-55 from the Southeast side of Chicago to Berwyn, a western suburb, in thirty minutes and expect to arrive on time for my 9:00 AM meeting. The same thing goes for my weekly team meeting on Wednesday. It’s scheduled for 9:00 AM, too. I’m usually scooting out the door at about 8:30. I’ll arrive in a nick of time, slide in a seat next to my supervisor, flash her a smile, and say “Hey,” just a few seconds before she says “Ok, let’s get started." Whew. I think "Sweat of my brow. I made it."  I know some of my fellow co-workers are going to be tardy as well. We text each other as we travel through rush hour traffic saying “Hey, I’m running behind. Can you tell . . . I’m going to be late? TTYL.” We may reply back to each other, “I’m running late, too. Whoever gets there first . . .” You can figure out the rest. Certainly, most of our team leaders and supervisors are very easy going, and understanding. However, punctuality is a very important characteristic to have in the workplace.

Punctuality comes from the root word punctual which means to be on time, and simply prompt.

Kristen M. Anderson writes in her article Why Punctuality Gains Respect in the Workplace the following:
  1. Punctuality is polite. When you show up on time, you send the message, "Your time is important to me. I want to be on time because I respect your time."
  2. Being on time indicates that you take deadlines seriously. Showing that you understand the value of a deadline will position you to receive important assignments, raises, and promotions.
  3. Being on time shows your employer that you value what he or she is paying you. Punctuality is often perceived as loyalty, particularly if other employees are constantly late.
  4. Punctuality shows you can be trusted with work from clients and other work groups.
  5. Punctuality will help you get more done.
  6. Being on time provides an opportunity to prepare for meetings. With more time to review the agenda and prepare your presentation, you will appear much more polished than your colleagues who rush into meetings late.
  7. Punctuality offers opportunities for networking. Some of the most important networking happens before and after meetings take place.

This article was written for the general public, and of course as Christians we are held to a higher standard. Certainly, we may encounter various mishaps that may cause us to be late. I know for me I usually get distracted with changing my clothes, trying to make breakfast/lunch at the last minute, or watching one more feature on Good Morning America.

I've asked God to help me with integrity and character. I’ve been allowed to see where I can make some improvements, and punctuality is one of them. I would certainly like to gain respect among my colleagues. Not for my personal benefit, but to be able to prove my ability to be responsible to take on important tasks and represent the Kingdom of God as a leader in the workplace. Punctuality may seem to be just a minor factor in our everyday work lives, but as indicated by Kristen M. Anderson it can be a key to excelling.

Seest thou a man diligent in his business? He shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men.
Proverbs 22:29 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment